View Single Post
Old 01-26-21, 08:36 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Man - not going to start the morning off with an argument but there's a lot of BS floating around in this thread. Stop with the "everyone", "no one", "never", etc. The longer you do this the more you'll watching things change and realize you were wrong before.

Flats - some people get them more than others. Period. This BS on pinch flats I've been seeing - I've ridden for years at or just below 100kg. I've done it one 23's at 116 psi and I've done it on 25's at 95 psi. without a single pinch flat. Yet I can fix 20 pinch flats a day in the shop. Some people just lead ass it over obstacles. I've went a couple of weeks trying to drop the pressure as low as I can until I have an issue....because I can. Finally tore the valve off a tube during a ride, "That was too low". That was roughly 80 psi.

Your data point and my data point aren't meaningful in the grand scheme.
For everyone saying someone is giving up just ton's of power by riding too high a pressure: I'll line of scores of riders who will run that higher pressure and still beat you. They will have their data and justification as to why they need to ride that pressure as well.

You should go back and find the pressure calculator I published out here like 13 years ago. I took data from Sheldon Brown and extrapolated some curves. A lot of people thought I was full of it at the time because the pressures were "too low". Now for the same size tire and rider those pressure would be considered too high. In 15 years we will all be headed back the other way. There's absolutely no point in getting bent out of shape over it. At the end of the day the pressure the rider is riding, if they are happy with it, is the correct pressure. I stopped answering "what pressure should I race on" questions at races a bunch of years back. Instead I simply start back with, "what pressure do you normally race on?" then I adjust what they reply with for the conditions.

There's exceptions to everything. If a rider shows up to cross and says they normally race on 50 psi....

I can still list a handful of riders who still win national championships on the track who will call you insane or tell you that you know nothing about racing on the track if you aren't running around 200 psi. That it's even "dangerous" to run less than that.

So stop.

Along the same lines as what I answer racers with - when it comes to tubeless, "how many flats do you have now? Do they bug you? meh - then give it a shot." or "oh not that many? not worth the hassle. It won't be life changing in the least."

At the end off the day none of this stuff doesn't make nearly as big of a difference as most of us hoped it would.
TLDR: Psimet doesn't like tubeless.
Likes For Hiro11: