View Single Post
Old 11-02-09, 09:14 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jkirkland
I was looking to buy my first road bike and I bought a 2009 Cannondale Caad 9 from a local bike shop. The owner helped me when picking it out. I was looking for a decent bike for just recreational riding. I mainly wanted a bike to go on rides daily and do some commuting to the local stores. I am 6' 250lbs. The owner said that my weight would not be a problem but a neighbor who happens to ride said it would be for my bike. So I was wondering if I got a good or bad deal on the bike. I was also wondering about the clipless pedals i bought to go with the bike. I have a pair of the hard soled road shoes but I don't like the idea of duck walking anytime i go to a store or rest stop. Would i be alright with a set of MTB shoes and pedals or what do you recommend. I am on a tight budget after getting the bike and getting it set up for me. Thanks.

CAAD 9 should be just fine at your weight. Ride lots and lose weight and then you will have no worries.
As for the shoes yes, you can do a mountain shoe / pedal combo to make walking easier. My advice though is to just get used to the road cleats. Depending on the cleat brand you can find "cafe" covers which are rubber covers that snap over the cleat. Makes walking easier and will get rid of the click click sound...