Old 02-24-19, 10:11 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
At least that you’re willing to admit to!!!!

My latest of many....

I put a new larger cassette and longer chain on my new road disc bike. It shifted fine but was a little noisy on the stand. When I rode it the drivetrain was really a lot noisier than normal but it shifted fine in all gears. I did notice the crank didn’t spin as easily going backwards. I did several rides with it and the longest was 80 miles. I’m thinking I just got a noisy chain.

I finally put it back on the stand and immediately spot the issue. I had threaded the chain over (instead of under) the short metal bar between the plates on RD between the jockey and guide pulleys. Felt like an idiot!!

At least I haven’t succumbed to duct tape......yet!

Hard to see but the chain should have come off the bottom of the upper wheel in the photo. It’s also all cleaned up now as well......
I've done that more than once. I usually figure it out just after I've completed the final assembly. I then have to break the chain, reroute the chain through the derailleur arm and recheck the chain length.

My dumbest mistake involves a bad plan and even worse workmanship. I wanted a vintage steel bike that would fit 700x32 tires. I had a 1979 Trek that easily would fit a 32 tire on the front, but not on the back. So I took the bike to an experienced frame builder and requested that they oval-ize the chainstays to give me an additional 3mm of room for a bigger tire. Well, it was mission impossible from the beginning and the chainstays looked terrible and the rear triangle was probably no longer true. I moved on to a 1971 Peugeot PX10 which easily fits a 700x32.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-24-19 at 10:43 AM.