Old 08-23-19, 02:12 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
maintaining state residency should not be a problem.
Are you talking about legally or through loopholes?

I know there is ways of doing it, but I am wondering how I can do it legally, so I don't lose my residency in Colorado, AND wouldn't have to lie on many applications that say, "have you live in the state for the past 12 months?"

I am aware of loopholes and how to do things, but I am wondering how people do this totally legally. Because from everything I can see, "legally," the virtual mail boxes do not qualify "technically" as a legal resident. I am on Social Security, and this is one of the things I am concerned with the most. I don't know how to maintain legal residency, without having to lie at some point in the process to do it. I know a lot of folks are fine with doing that, and if ultimately I am left with no other choice, I might have to do it...but I don't know how if I go on a tour for more time than 12 months, how I can ethically and legally still answer questions like, "have you been a resident for the past 12 consecutive months?" They even word it on many things now so you would have to technically lie. If you have a residence where you are paying taxes, mortgage, etc... that's one thing. But I wouldn't have that, and I am actually very concerned on what will happen when I cross that road. I don't want to pigeon hole myself into a situation where I will eventually have to lie. At the same token, "not" having a permanent residence somewhere can make things difficult at best at times.

That's why I am asking. I am not sure how to address certain things if I want to be a permanent bum so to speak like suggested in other threads, by bike touring without a central home base for a while. I am never going to own my own home or be in a financial situation to gain those benefits in life, or at least, not any time soon. But residency can cause problems on other issues when you are dealing with things like insurance, Social Security, and the like. My health care plan and premiums are tied to what region I live in and have to be applied to a local address. So I am confident that a virtual mailbox will address this problem, but I also don't want to get myself into a spot where I have to actually lie to the insurance company if they ask me where do I permanently live, and I have been out biking around the world for 3 years. There is a fine line there between what folks might say is real versus what is real. Technically, you are lying when you haven't been in a state for the past 12 consecutive months at a time in the state of Colorado. If you own a home, that gray line can be pushed a whole lot more and never even come into question because you are paying state and city taxes. What if you are not though? How do you do it and still maintain legal residence without ever having to lie?

I lived in Colorado for half my life at the age of 50 now. It's my home. It will always be my home. I want to always come back here and consider this home. But I would like to leave and see a lot of the world while not losing my status of this being my home. If something was to go terribly wrong, this is where I would want to come back to for health, recovery, or ride out whatever time I have left if I can't bike anymore.

How would I even vote if I don't have a legal residence?

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-23-19 at 02:17 PM.