Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
That doesn't answer the legal question... snip
Good gravy.

Wanna know how to maintain a drivers license or residency while absent without lying? Email the DMV or electoral officials for your state college and ask. Live or don't live by their answer. Done.
Sorry I couldn't write a long drawn out virtue signalling response that suggested everyone was less moral than me but it wasn't required to answer the simplest of questions.

As to the OP:

I don't have an opinion either way as to whether its a good idea to sell and tour with kids. I have a feeling for myself but also realize others may differ and still be perfectly fine parents. Having said that, a couple of thoughts.

It may be worth considering a bail out plan in case something goes wrong on the ride. You or one of the kids may become ill in a way that does not allow continuing or maybe there is a real disconnect between the vision vs reality. Maybe renting out the house for a bit before committing to selling would provide some income yet keep the option open until you know for sure how it will develop.

A friend retired early and sold everything as you suggest. He planned to travel extensively through SE Asia and return once in a while between trips, hoping to couch surf with friends and family (he had kids and grandkids). Turned out after the initial enjoyment wore off he missed family ties and now spends a more even mix of travel home time with an apartment.

A life on the road sounds exciting but it can also be very lonely if you are constantly moving and letting go of relationships. I don't know if that is an admirable goal or not unless one is particularly good at maintaining relationships in alternate forms. Part of life is adventure but part is also community. Consider this from the kids perspective too. Yes they will benefit from exposure through travel but they also will benefit from closeness of community. I think it may be possible to create that on the road but one would need to be skillful.

An interesting documentary that shows how a plan can change is Expedition Happiness. The young couple wanted to travel in their bus but found the feeling about that changed when their dog (relationship) fared badly.While the trailer below makes travel seem "amazing" in reality they only last a certain time on the road before returning to a convenient home base in Germany.

Or it is a good idea. Just be aware that feelings change and with kids a little more consideration may be needed (as I'm sure you know)

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-23-19 at 06:19 PM.