View Single Post
Old 10-11-19, 07:04 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
This kind of thing is tough to coordinate unless you have a partner you match up perfectly with in terms of your traveling styles, or you have some incentive to stay together like they are your wife or child. If you are on major touring routes you will inevitably meet up with people on the road. If you get along with them and you go about the same speed, have the same daily mileage goals, etc, you can hook up with riding partners on the route and travel together for as long as it makes sense to do so.
this comment is very relevant. You have to be very realistic about all of the ins and outs of sharing a trip with someone.

this aspect of a trip aside, I strongly suggest that you read and browse as many trip journals as possible about travelling in Latin America to give you concrete information on all kinds of factors that should be taken into account.
Crazy guy on a bike, is a great start.

in the meantime, if you are serious about the possibility of doing a trip like this, right away look into some Spanish classes where you live and start as soon as you can. Having some working knowledge of Spanish is one of the most important things to have and to help you and to enrich the travelling experience.
This is one thing that you can do now, at the same time as planning this and planning that.

I gave a talk once on my trips and this was a point that I emphasized to the mostly young crowd who showed up.
Don't put it off, learning a new language takes a lot of time, especially harder as we are older, and its all baby steps which is totally normal, but the more time you have, the better.
Likes For djb: