View Single Post
Old 11-13-19, 09:08 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
For what it's worth I think the most important thing in your toolkit is your head.
Perhaps an example:

Originally Posted by MarcusT
Originally Posted by mev
Pedal ripping out of crank arm partially because I likely mis-threaded some things putting pedals on in the dark evening before.
Yup, that happened to me. Luckily it was a test ride before starting the big trip.
That's not to make fun of the situations, but if a cross-threaded pedal was the root of the "failure" then being a bit more proactive on the pedal install so as to avoid to cross threading could have prevented the failure.

Though, I am still not sure what to make of this one:

Originally Posted by mev
Crank arm breaking was a bit more of a fluke and after a lot of miles. It broke next to where the toe strap went next to the crank arm. I have a suspicion a small crack developed and was latent for a while before the crank arm snapped.
As you say, could be a fluke. Though, I would be curious if you were checking over everything with a fine-tooth-comb routinely if a crack would have been noticeable prior to the break. But I think in there, also, is the point of how often people do intricate inspections - especially on tour when they don't have their bike apart on a stand, or maybe some do every so many miles.