View Single Post
Old 11-15-19, 08:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
so I guess its a matter of being careful of how tight its put on, and perhaps being careful of using the doohickey to avoid frame damage.
I always figured that is just a few clicks and not really very tight, but I think the tool will still work with a fairly tight free hub.

So far, I've just carried a kevlar spoke string thingee, but it makes sense that being able to deal with a busted spoke properly with a replacement is a good thing.
will watch the vid.
Lots of folks have good luck with those, so I am not knocking them. That said, I always figured that with high or even moderate spoke count wheels I can limp along with one broken spoke. With multiple broken spokes maybe not. Also I figure I'd rather just fix the problem permanently right off if possible. So when I have taken something I have taken some spokes. There have been some trips where I have taken nothing and probably should have taken at least a fiber-fix spoke. They do have the advantage of fitting any wheel of any bike you might need to fix so you can help anyone you ride with or anyone you meet.

BTW, I never found that I needed to carry three sizes like some seem to find necessary. There is quite a bit of range between having a few threads engaged and having enough sticking through the rim to cause flats. Given that range I find that one size in the middle can generally work in a pinch in all three positions. If I am really concerned I might use a different color to remind me to put in the right length later at home, but I have never actually bothered. It will depend on the hubs and rims, but that has been my experience.

FWIW, I do find it extremely helpful to have the exact correct length spokes when building new wheels.