Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Been a leader, now pretty much solo.
Solo cuts down on arguments
Somewhat... I've been know to be by the side of the road swearing my head off at "someone" a few times while solo

Originally Posted by indyfabz
http://www.outsideonline.com/2407239...-job-nightmare

I found this article fascinating. My first tour was an unsupported, group tour across the U.S., likely with the same organization the author led for. Our group had a couple of the same personalities she encountered, although not as extreme. Our leader was also trouble and had to be replaced.

During our 93 days on the road I started to wonder whether I would like to lead tours in the future. I certainly had my doubts, but another part of me thought I would enjoy it. A few days after the trip ended I started my three-week solo ride home. Experiencing group touring and solo touring back to back convinced me that leading is not for me.
I used to lead wilderness backpacking trips and was a Scout leader for seven years and enjoyed that, mostly from the feeling of exposing kids to the outdoors and passing on skills. What I liked about Scouts was the emphasis on self reliance that short circuited expectations of doing it for them.

I also belong to a dive club and loath organizing functions for adults. While we complain about millennials a lot I find boomers to be horrible to coordinate. It's like herding cats. We are old enough and usually wealthy enough to want what we want when we want it and tend to lack the "give and take' group activities require. Being somewhat raised by the military, I naturally organize myself to fit the schedule while it seems many peers try to rearrange the schedule to keep from being organized (rant over!).

As a result, I solo dive and mostly solo ride but will join in if something is happening. Rarely will I inflict myself with the desire to organize though sometimes I think of doing so to take some friends through the Icefield Parkway from Jasper to Banff. So far, two summers in a row without anyone being able to agree on a time for booking holidays.

I would say if you want to enjoy the ride don't lead. If you want to help others enjoy the ride and don't mind the grief, lead... at your peril

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-30-19 at 12:54 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet: