Old 01-29-20, 09:22 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by gregmacc
... thanks djb ... caveats noted ...
Like I've mentioned in previous replies, if there is a good reason to step out of our comfort zone we will. We are both in our sixties and although we still enjoy a challenge our preferences have drifted towards smelling the roses rather than heroic, epic slog-fests. Although given the right circumstances on the right bikes ...
We really enjoy Europe but yes, the canal/river paths are really quite "soft" as far as bicycle touring goes ... in a good way though ... so much to see and do along the way. They do have their negatives ... a post for another day perhaps.
Admittedly my quoted prefered daily distance (35 miles) is pretty conservative ... but we are quite happy to do double that if we feel the need. It's just that we like to stop frequently ... taking photos ... talking to locals ... meeting fellow bikers etc. - Of course 15 miles is plenty if an unmissable overnight experience presents itself ... or we just need an easy day.
We live in Australia ... on the southern coast. Nothing but ocean between us and Antarctica to the south. Some fabulously remote arid lands to the north which we have toured on the Thorns ... we've posted supply caches to small outposts up there and have no problems being self sufficient with food and water for several days. So we are resourceful if required ... just looking for a generally softer experience this time 'round ... which I think you have picked-up on.

first off all, I wasn't observant enough to see you are Aussie' s...
that's pretty neat to have posted cache supplies, so you two certainly have experience with different riding adventures. I agree about the euro river canal paths, the good way comment. I've done some Latin America trips and ridden in sketchy traffic areas by mistake on other trips, but on the Eurovelo trip with my wife, I really enjoyed the calm and quiet of that Loire river route, and like you, I really enjoy meeting and chatting with locals or whoever, it's a fun part of a bike trip.

if I think of route or area ideas up here in Canada, I'll put them down.
hopefully you can scour the net for ideas and maybe some trip ideas that kind of fit in for you guys, and hopefully get more suggestions here from more Americans.
cheers

ps, it's fun with a bike forum to have people throw in ideas and details. Nice to get some suggestions and help form some trip ideas/ routes isn't it?

Last edited by djb; 01-29-20 at 09:25 PM.
Likes For djb: