View Single Post
Old 01-30-20, 07:09 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
greg and co.
re bears. I grew up hiking, canoe camping etc in this part of Canada, ie Ottawa, Montreal etc and in the nearby states a bit, and in all the years of doing stuff, never had a bear encounter that was more than seeing one far off and it taking off when it saw us. We always did the "put food up a tree on a line" thing and never brought food into tents, as a rule, but what I wanted to relate is that in regular areas that you'd probably be in, bears wouldnt be an issue at all (Im thinking if you were to consider a tour in the Walrus suggested areas)

the only time Ive been nervous about bears was when I was out in British Columbia, hking where there are grizzlies, and the first time I bought a can of bear spray.

I understand your wifes concerns, but using common sense with food, and at least in this part of Canada with black bears and not grizzlies, bear human interactions are rare and they are clearly afraid of us, and on a bike trip, you just wouldnt be in their environment really , ie deep woods.
And camp grounds that are near bear stuff always have those food lockers and proper garbage containers, ones that are bear proof, ---so bears dont come around cuz they know they cant get food.

re elevation. Around Montreal and this area down to Vermont, its not bad. Vermont is of course mountainy, but its also very beautiful. Ive ridden from Montreal to Boston, about a week, and yes there is climbing, but it was a very pretty ride, and got busy only at the end near Boston.---but you wouldnt be going that far, and Vermont in general is quiet and drivers very polite.

re language, a lot of people speak english, and when they dont, you work it out, maybe moreso than in europe because quebecers usually know some. But this is part of the charm here.
The st Lawrence river is a pretty neat area, and Quebec City is a neat city, N Americas oldest French city (ish) and very European looking in the old part of the city (a nice place to visit)

anyway, more ideas and details.