Old 03-31-20, 08:38 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
For KC8QVO in response to a question posed in Post #18 .

I usully just leave the ends of that tarp open. The tarp is quite a bit longer than what the tent is. Whenever I think it might rain the night I pitch camp, I use a 2" or 3" wood disc on each line that runs from the tent/tarp to the tree. Whenever water runs down those cords it gets stopped by the discs and drips off harmlessly long before getting to the tent.
Thanks for the detail.

When I first was using the A frame tent I had a much smaller tarp. I want to say it was a 6x8, so actual dimensions were less. I used it oriented LxW with the tent dimensions. The sides weren't long enough to cover the tent all the way down to the ground so I had to guy the corners and keep the sides elevated. I remember a night or two of light rain in the past. If the rain comes straight down its not a problem, however there is very little protection if the wind blows. With a tarp going all the way down to the ground protection is better, however open ends can create a wind tunnel affect and blow right through - covering the tent. I'd say it would be better than a small tarp "roof only", but still not "storm proof".

With the weight being what it is - anything else I add to the A frame tent is only going to add more weight - such as a bigger tarp and closing in the ends. That isn't what I want to do. The dome tent is less weight already, has more room, and is very storm proof (I've rode out a hurricane force wind storm on a ridge in the appalachians in it). It's downsides here are it is more complex to set up (more time) and has a bigger footprint. Maybe that won't be as much of a concern as I think.