Old 04-19-20, 04:30 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
I have no doubt that any determined individual in reasonably good shape could physically complete that ride. How comfortably they could do so and how enjoyable it would be would vary with how prepared they were.

I rode with my daughter and her college dorm mate coast to coast after their graduation. They had less time to get ready. One was a cyclist who hadn't ridden much since being in college and the other was a runner. Their training rides for the trip were relatively short and not what I would have considered frequent enough, but they did okay. They did start out doing shorter days and building their mileage as the trip progressed. On a 4000 mile trip you have that advantage.

That said I think that your plan sounds very doable as far as cycling logistics. The biggest concern is getting enough saddle time in so that your butt isn't miserable, but even if you don't you can make it if you suffer through the misery.

Wind can be a pretty big deal on the plains. As I recall from my rides across Kansas, summer winds tend to kick up any time between late morning to some time in the afternoon so getting some riding in early is helpful. As I recall winds in summer tend to be out of the north east there. Not sure how that works out with your direction of travel.

I do see one big potential issue though... I am not sure how the corona virus situation may impact things for you, but it may be a problem. Are you camping? In other years I found that sleeping in rural small town picnic areas was never a problem for me and the people of that area were especially friendly and welcoming. It is possibly the easiest place in the world to find impromptu camping in plain sight. On the other hand, I worry that in the current political/social climate folks may be less accepting of strangers/outsiders.

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-19-20 at 04:33 AM.