Old 07-21-20, 10:22 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Kunsunoke pretty much covered it. I have had too many bikes for years now and loved the Italians. My rack that holds my bikes used in the current daily rotation has the lowest number of Italians ever right now, a Colnago Master, and Tommasini Tecno and Diamante join three customs. Now 70 I only recently realize the shift away for the Italians and it comes from less flexibility and liking the bars raised which is easy on the customs and unacceptable on the Italians. I just could never put a Nitto technomic on a Pinarello or CIÖCC.
I think the Italian love is because it might the first "nice" bike many of us got, after graduating from baloon tires, three speeds and lower level "10-speeds". I did my first junior race on a heavy, but beautiful (to me) red Schwinn Continental. When my folks saw that I was serious about racing, they got me a Legnano Roma, in 1964. I raced it, commuted to college on it, hung it on the garage wall for 20 years, finally got back on it when I turned 50, and the love affair has continued for over 20 more years. At 71, now, the Nitto Technohomic stem works for me. I hated changing out the old Ambrosio, but the Nitto has meant many more years of happy riding. I now have a couple of British Raleighs, a French Peugeot, and various Asian-built moderns, but the old Legnano is my first love. That being said, my $20 CL find, a '78 Raleigh Super Course is often my "go to" daily rider, for everything from post office errands to fast club rides. The Legnano is mostly used on special rides like Eroica, but the Legnano does make every ride special, plus its the only bike that I've been up to 60 mph on, though not lately!

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-21-20 at 12:30 PM.