View Single Post
Old 08-05-20, 06:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I'm no expert as having only stayed at a couple, but probably my least favorite venue for spending a night.
In addition to the woman at Lake Itasca I mentioned above, we had a bit of a row in Whitefish. There was a guy who had moved to town recently for a new job and was staying at the hostel while looking for an apartment. The mattresses were covered with noisy plastic. One of the members of our touring group was prone to tossing and turning while he slept. That pissed the guy off so much that he got verbally angry. To be honest, the noise disturbed me as well. At some point I went downstairs and slept on a living room couch. I was so tired the next morning that I chose to ride sweep to Glacier NP with the slowest member of our group.

In 2000 I stayed at the Breckinridge HI for two nights along with a couple who was riding across the country on a tandem. You had to put down a $5 key deposit. The woman running the place was a serious crab. I mean a terribly unhappy person from the moment we arrived. She even barked at us about the kitchen being off limits to guests. The evening before our departure we asked for our deposits back because we both had long days and wanted to leave before dawn, hours before the woman told us in a mean way the earliest she would be up. We promised to leave the keys behind after we got our bikes out of the locked storage shed. She refused our requests, so we kept the keys out of spite. Our guess was that she did this to earn a few extra bucks for herself.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-05-20 at 06:20 PM.