mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
The Extrawheel looks to me like it could be packed in with your bike if you did it judiciously but primarily, it’s handling looks like it would be really nice. I also would have to believe that you could disassemble the trailer and carry it on to any train. The wheel, panniers, and trailer frame would all fit in most of the train overheads that I’ve been on.
Depends a bit on what else is in the bike box. I had a big enough bike and tightly packed that I couldn't quite fit it in the same box on a trip I took through Kashmir, India. As it turned out, the airline fees were large enough for both domestic (India) and international (India->US) that in 2014, I ended up leaving the Extrawheel shown in this photo behind in Srinagar rather than pay to bring it back. I got a different one after that. Looking at the Extrawheel page, one feature I like of the most recent version is the support for 135mm spacing. I've broken a hub/rim occasionally on longer expedition trip and this wider spacing now enables me to truly bring an extra rear wheel/rim on that expedition and use it as a backup. Rim/hub failures are still rare but on multi-month trip in remote terrain the consequences have been big enough.
Likes For mev: