Old 09-02-20, 08:58 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Maybe that works for you, but I doubt it would have worked for me.

This is what went onto the plane. Most of the bike is in the black S&S Backpack case, but the rear rack and a few other parts went into the other checked bag to keep it below 50 pounds. Did not want baggage handlers to damage my helmet so that was on my head going onto the plane, it went into the overhead.

Add to that a trip to the grocery store to get a couple weeks of groceries, that became this.

It was a real struggle to get everything into the olive green bag, decided after that trip to invest in a bigger bag.

I replaced the green bag with a Seal Line 115 liter backpack for my next trip for more space. Also tried some different panniers, nothing wrong with the Ortliebs, just giving something else a try. One rear and one front pannier met the size limits for carry on and personal item on the plane.

Had plenty of excess room with the Seal Line bag. The Seal Line bag is water tight and air tight, rolled up the top roll closure with a towel in the fold so air could get in and out of the bag with airplane pressure changes.

If you have it figured out so that the trailer works for you for planes, trains and buses, great.

Just saying that I think what I am doing works better for me.

In both trips above, the black S&S case and the green or orange bag were stored in a luggage room during my trip, those were not carried on the bike.
I generally need about 60-70 liters of capacity for long time touring. The Radical Design Cyclone has more than enough at 100 liters and with my Orucase Airport Ninja bike case bag gives me my two luggage pieces. The bike case comes in at 35-38 pounds. The Cyclone at about the same with all my gear (camping gear, clothes etc...). I have a small backpack that is meant for travel. My helmet, cycling shoes and pedals go in there and with me in the plane.

the Cyclone, since it has extra capacity over what’s needed for my stuff, leaves about 30 liters for food and/or packing the trailer wheels as luggage.

Given my airline status, I get two bags <50lbs for international and travel for me and the same for my traveling companions. So we’re well within weight limits. I, like you, work it out with a hotel to leave my case for the duration of the trip.