View Single Post
Old 10-02-20, 07:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
It's because of the bag I used for hiking there.
I use an older Arc'Teryx Bora 80 that has two hip pockets for nalgene style flasks but it has the camelbak sleeve in a really stupid place. I plan on getting a more modern pack in the near future but for now this pack is virtually indestructible.

As for hard sided bottles, modern sport caps from Klean Kanteen have a pretty high flow rate due to an extra valve and I can easily reach it while riding and drink from it. The bigger bottle is mostly for storing extra cold/hot water for either refills or for making tea.
Hydro Flask has a sports cap with better insulation but I don't like the way the valve works.

I'm not from the USA so ice machines are really uncommon in most of Europe. Sure I'll have a small amount of ice made at home but most of the time I just put a small amount of cubes in there and top it off with cold water.

I never really saw the appeal of plastic bottles. Sure you can squeeze them for quicker drinking but I associate then with cheap smelly plastic and getting really dirty very quickly. Then again I come from the hiking world. I don't know any better than Nalgene style bottles, stainless steel flasks, Platypus soft bottles and Camelbak hydration systems. They all have their place but I prefer the neutral taste of bottles over things with a tube.
I don’t have an ice maker. I buy a bag of ice at a convenience store.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!