View Single Post
Old 01-04-21, 05:43 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Quick update...
I'm taking things in a different direction. As much as I wanted to make the Torelli work for me, I feel it is just not a good fit for my body.

This has been my challenge since day 1 on a bike. I'm tall (6'2) with a long inseam (37") and long arms, but shorter than average torso for my height. Most bicycle fit calculators show my optimal seat tube at 62-63 cm c-c, with a 56-57 cm top tube. No frame I have ever seen possesses this odd combo, and I'd imagine it impractical even with a custom frame - something would probably have to give.

After having my Zullo a couple of years ago (62 cm) and now this 62 cm Torelli, I'm going back to my old ways - getting a frame with shorter seat tube and top tube, with the TT being the controlling factor. My favorite road bikes have been 57-58 cm, with a couple of 60's that worked for me too, but of all the bikes I've owned, my 57cm Tommasini Tecno fit me best (56.5 TT if memory serves).
With the Torelli, I needed an 80 mm stem to get close to the ballpark, and the bike just felt big.

Fast forward to my current situation, and I've acquired a mid 90's 58cm Merckx Corsa-01 frameset (with the Deda-01 ovalized tubing) - EM century geometry. With a 110cm stem the saddle-bar dimension is within 10mm of optimal, and the seatpost exposure isn't too offensive (about 6-1/2 inches of seatpost showing) and 4" saddle-bar drop with the stem set reasonably low (but not slammed as I once would have done). The saddle-bar drop suits my long arms, as I've learned through the years.
I've always wanted a Merckx, and it seems the jury is out on whether the Corsa-01 or MX-Leader takes top spot for ride quality for tall guys like me. I look forward to experiencing the Corsa-01.

So, I'm building the Merckx with the Record 9 and will sell the Torelli frameset. All good things.
More to come!

Last edited by canyoneagle; 01-04-21 at 05:53 PM.
Likes For canyoneagle: