View Single Post
Old 01-15-21, 08:02 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
A few bad apples give every cyclist a bad name. There is a rider that has his circuit near where I live. He's in his 50's, fit, trim, in awesome shape and obviously rides a lot. I have had three run-ins with this guy.

The first was at a 4-way stop intersection a couple of year ago when I was on my bike. There were four cars at the intersection. I stop because everyone is trying to figure out who goes next. This guy comes flying up from behind me and blows through the intersection just as one of the cars is entering. He swerves to avoid the car and gives the driver the one finger salute and yells, "F*** you. Watch where you're going!".

The second and third times were both the same. I was driving to the grocery store and he's in the middle of the two lane road (that has a full left turn lane in the middle) riding with another guy and it's pretty busy. Everyone is having to go into the left turn lane to go around this guy. No big deal, I go around, look at the guy with a blank expression and pass. He gives me this nasty sneer.

The last time was the same situation but he was riding side-by-side with another rider on this same road with light traffic and taking up the whole right lane and hugging the left turn lane. Cars are backed up behind these two waiting to go around. When it's my turn I matter of factly state to this guy, "There's not a lot of traffic, can you go single file?".

Oh boy, the guy just totally goes postal. F this and F that. The guy is nuts.

Now, I do the "Idaho" stop also, but when there are cars at an intersection I make eye contact with every motorist. When they acknowledge me and give me the go sign, I go. MOST of the time they let me "cut" through the intersection and I give them a nice wave and silent "thank you" with my lips. To which they acknowledge with a smile...usually.

I don't understand the mentality of riders like this nutty guy. I've been riding on the road since I was 13 so....49 years now. I remember when it really was bad. Folks today have it good even in the worst cities compared to the way it was. If we cyclists want to be treated right by motorists we have to treat them right and obey the rules of the road.

Apologize for the rant but this subject really agitates me.