View Single Post
Old 01-18-21, 09:42 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 610 Posts
I've pulled tubes that were folded up like that and assume it's because they were installed incorrectly to begin with. I pitch them if they are creased as it's a good place for a rupture to occur.

When I mount tires and tubes I put baby powder on the inside of the tire, it helps the tube move inside the tire as you air it up and helps reduce pinch flats. It also keeps the tube from sticking to the tire when you remove it years later. I inflate the tube slightly so it will hold some shape and put it inside the tire. I then insert the valve stem through the rim and start the bead on one side onto the rim. I then feed the tube and other bead over the rim. Once that's done I verify the beads are inside the rim then put a little more air in the tire to bring the sidewalls and beads out to the rim but not tight, I make sure the valve stem is properly aligned and straight. I then work around the tire working it back and forth to make sure the beads fully engage the hook on the rims. Once I'm sure it's fully engaged and the valve stem is still in position I then inflate to full pressure in stages. It may sound like a PITA but I haven't had a pinch flat in years.