Old 02-12-18, 05:15 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by ninja2
I have the same questions - when I was young I used tubulars glued with special synthetic glue that was stronger than tubular glue and all was great (had time and patience to do it). did not ride for a long time and used clinchers only in the last 12 years. Now, when the tubular glue tape is proven to be reliable, i'm thinking of switching back to tubies as they have several advantages.
My LBS owner is former racer; I met a lot of people in his shop, as well on the road in the past years - they occasionally race and no one uses anything but tubies. Apart from the cost and bulky spare you have to carry, no other disadvantages.
Except for an odd case, I have not heard of anyone who races on clinchers and even serious training is done on low end tubies.
However, as I have no recent experience (presently using open tubulars with latex tubes) with tubies, I would appreciated feedback from the experienced riders before I embark on this adventure.
xnks
p.s. clincher that won't come off the rim if it blows is harder to install then tubular
Just like clinchers, tubulars are also better than they were.

My kid rides tubulars on 100 mile rides with no spares. He has a cell phone and the USAC podium membership. That depends where you ride. I'd never do that around my house, but where he rides - no flats yet from road derbies in 10K miles.

Tubulars still do not seat as well. Esp the hand made ones. If you want easy - do clinchers. If you are the type to BBQ over wood instead of gas - go tubulars. They are better performing, but for simple practicality, clinchers win.