Old 01-09-19, 05:47 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome! All of the bikes you are considering are in the same basic "fitness hybrid" category. I'd suggest an additional option, in the same category: the Jamis Coda. Jamis takes a bit of a different approach than essentially everyone else, and still uses steel frames. But it's not the same "gas pipe" steel that made older cheap bikes weigh a ton; it's Reynolds 520 chrome-moly steel. The Coda Comp is probably the one you would like the most, with a carbon fork and hydraulic disc brakes. It weighs only 26 pounds, which will be very competitive with your other choices.

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/codacomp.html

I don't own a Jamis, but I do have a few high quality steel bikes and steel just offers a compliance that aluminum doesn't. The $760 asking price of the Coda Comp seems somewhat steep for a bike with a basic 3x8 drivetrain, but you're paying for the high quality frame and fork, and for other components that are nice; you're getting some branded parts where other bikes use "house brand" stuff, like Vittoria tires, Alex rims, Formula hubs, etc. I don't know how large of a tire a Coda Comp could fit, but I imagine you could go up to at least a 38mm or a 40mm tire. If you're interested, you could ask a local bike shop or check with Jamis.

Their website's "Find a Retailer" feature doesn't seem to be complete (my local bike shop, which does sell and stock Jamis bikes, isn't listed), but it appears you have at least one retailer local to you: Bicycle Michael's on Frenchmen St in NO, LA.