View Single Post
Old 04-14-19, 08:40 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again WD-40 is NOT a lube. Besides that is it making a mess for you. Just use plain motor oil, Mobil 1 is probably the best.
The SDS for WD-40 would disagree with you. It contains more than 35% “Petroleum Base Oil” which is mineral oil. That’s a lubricant. Not a great one but a lubricant never the less. On the other hand, it’s problems are no words than “plain motor oil”.

Originally Posted by JanMM
Well, of course the original WD40 has some lubricant in the formulation, just not much. Better than nothing for some bike applications.
Their line of cycling products - none of which I have tried: https://www.wd40bike.com/

I've used ProGold ProLink Chain Lube for more than a few years.
35% is not “some”. That’s a fair amount. It’s even more when considering that once the other 65% evaporates, the 35% becomes 100%. It’s not very viscous so it flow readily but it’s probably no worse then Triflow.

Originally Posted by Pilot321
As others have said WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. WD = Water Displacement
Chemically, I would take that “water displacement” with a large grain of salt. Every component of the mixture is hydrophobic. Spraying it on to something that is wet will result in a layer of oil on top of the water. There are lots and lots of other chemicals that would do a far better job of “displacing water”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-30-19 at 11:51 AM.