View Single Post
Old 07-22-19, 06:00 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
... Explore has pretty good internal memory but I read that if one goes overseas it's likely that one will have to delete the US map & reinstall afterward.
It's unlikely you'd need to do that.

The Explore has 16 GB. The North American maps use < 8 GB. There's a lot of memory left free.

If you go overseas, you won't usually have to load a map for the whole continent.

You can download maps (free) for the area(s) you will be traveling in.

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
In re bikepacking the 32x allows 2,000 waypoints vs 200 for Explore. I'm not an expert on the waypoint issue but AFAIK off-road routes can require more waypoints. Even on-road I think that 200 waypoints can be limiting, apparently some folks have to edit their routes to limit waypoints and/or split routes into sections.
Waypoints are locations you can have the unit create a route to.

Navigation on the Edges is typically done using course files (not waypoints). A course file is basically a track that traces the path you want to follow. They are separate from waypoints.

Course files can contain "course points" (a max of 200 in each course), which are kind of like waypoints. They mark "important" points on the track, like turns and stops. Most of the Edges support course points. The old Touring did not; I'm not sure about the Explore.

Course points are mostly intended for the Edges that don't use maps (but the are still useful on the units that do use maps).

The Edges that do use maps can create "turn guidance" from the track using the installed maps.

​​​You don't need to "split routes" due to waypoints (on the Edges, one has nothing to do with the other).

Routes shorter than around 100 miles might be more manageable (on not just the Edges), especially, since it can take awhile to calculate the turns.
​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-22-19 at 06:48 PM.