Old 12-09-19, 01:03 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Tailfin. It's an expensive product, but it's gotten very favorable reviews from audax and other ultra riders. They have a few variations (a rack-top bag, panniers, etc) It's designed to work on racing bikes, so it snaps on/off quickly and doesn't require messing with P-clamps.

I was commuting for a while on a road bike using a rack and a pannier. The bike did have rack eyelets, but its geometry was not oriented toward load-carrying. My rack was cantilevered pretty far out back to avoid heel strike, and even a modest load really affected handling. Just something to keep in mind. I'm using a backpack now (which I know doesn't help the OP) and leaving as much stuff at the office as possible. If I had to carry more, I'd look hard at the Tailfin setup.
I don't understand the advantage of a tailfin over a normal rack unless you're weight obsessed (which is not my case). I don't care about carrying an extra kg when commuting.

In any case, today I left clothes and lunch for tomorrow at the office, so tomorrow I can commute really light.