View Single Post
Old 03-01-07, 01:51 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I have ridden over 135,000 miles since 1972. My style of riding has changed over time. I haven't had an accident or "wiped out" in a very long time.
I no longer "sprint", or try to show motorists that I can do the speed limit. Your in a death trap if you do that. Motorists don't care that you're doing the speed limit, they are hell-bent on passing, and the more you make it look like a race, the more furious they get.

I ride near the white line, about two feet from the white line most of the time. If the road curves right, I check my rear view mirror and I go strait , to avoid disappearing from view of the motorist behind me. I double check and pivot my neck to make eye contact with the driver. I make sure the driver has reached the 'apex' of the curve before I signal right and move right. I almost go as far left as the yellow line , but It's better to be seen the whole time, not disappearing and then reappearing to the motorist.

When I'm on a road that has a shoulder, or lane-margin, I ride on it, but within two feet of the white line to avoid debris. If I come to a parked car, I check my mirror and make a judgement call; sometimes I stop and wait for cars to pass before I pass the parked car.

If I come to broken glass, I stop, park my bike against the curb, and sweep the broken glass aside with a little corn-whisk, while facing traffic. I secure the whisk-broom to my brake cable with a carribiner.

I always wear an orange vest with "strong-yellow-green" reflective stripes.

I use lights at night, but I heard that Daylight Savings Time begins March 11th this year, is that right?.

I stop for 97% of red lights.
Likes For hotbike: