Old 03-01-07, 03:46 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've been riding in the roads since I was a small child. Most of my miles over the last 40+ years have been from commuting or recreational rides both in and outside of the US. I'm one of those folks who never really gave up riding once I learned to drive...mostly because of economic necessity, but really because I just love to ride. As a kid from a big family, it was my alone time, my free time, and that has never really changed.

At present I live in a ruralish town just south of Cleveland, OH. where the majority of the roads I ride are either narrow country roads with little or no shoulder and 35mph+ speed limits, or highways with better shoulders and faster speed limits. Bike lanes are rare around here, but there are some in some of the larger suburbs and in Cleveland itself.

I work in a small town that sits smack in the middle of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that is very popular for cyclists due to its trailhead to the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath, bike shop with rentals and a very popular road 'loop' used by the area club racers and roadies. Because we're in the river valley the riding is flat to rolling, until you want to get out of the valley, in which case you better have some climbing legs.

My commute to and from work is about 50 miles round trip, which I do 3-4 days a week in the spring, summer and fall, taking a day or two to drive so I can replenish supplies & clothing and run errands. I find commuting that distance much more enjoyable if I don't have to lug clothes and food all the time...many think I already carry way too much stuff for normal rec rides! In the winter I drive part way, park, then ride the remaining 13 miles, reversing the process on the ride home. The roads on my commute are mostly narrow, rolling country roads, though I can use part of the O&E towpath if I want to enjoy the scenery.

During my time off I am pretty much a tourer, either doing day trips, over-nighters or multiple-day tours, in addition to some organized metrics, centuries and charity rides. I love doing long-distance self-supported tours, but it's been about 3 years since the last time I managed the time off to do so.

The only real problems I have riding the roads are just the usual impatience, arrogance and lack of courtesy that has seemed to become our national identity over the last 40 years. But I ride like I drive...courteously, predictably, according to the law, paying attention to everything that is going on around me, always expecting the other guy to do the stupidest thing possible and being ready for him to do so...which I call 'planning for Murphy'. I try to be as visible as possible, using active lighting on the bike and passive reflectivity on both the bike and my clothing/gear. I rarely use a helmet, though I do wear one when required and on some of my snowy/icy winter rides. I've never had a serious injury from riding a bike and feel safer on my bike than driving a car.

I presently have 5 bikes...an old 80ish Bianchi xcross bike that is my favorite and primary commuter, an 86 Bianchi road bike that I use for recreational rides, but also ride to work if I get the urge, a Fuji World touring bike for loaded touring and commutes, a single-speed for my winter (non-snow) commute and nice rides on the towpath, and my snow bike, which is a hybrid fitted with fenders and studded tires.

I also love puppies, want to save the dolphins and promote world peace, like any good Miss America contestant.

Last edited by chipcom; 03-01-07 at 04:15 PM.