View Single Post
Old 03-01-07, 04:34 PM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to commute 14 miles a day on city streets when I lived in Portland. Now that I am retired and no longer live in Portland, I ride for recreation/fitness and short trips around town. Most of my riding now is on two lane country roads with low traffic volume. I have not had any trouble or serious conflicts with auto traffic since I moved here in 1992. There are a few bike lanes in Scappoose and St Helens... some better than others.

If I go to Portland or Sauvie Island or to St. Helens, I use US 30, a four lane highway with a 2-way left turn lane in the middle and wide, paved shoulder/bike lane for most of it's length. The speed limit outside of the towns is 55... actual average speed is somewhat higher and, as it is a major thoroughfare, there is a lot of truck traffic. I feel safe using this road but I make an extra effort at being more attentive in the more densely populated areas.

As the weather improves this spring, I plan to do more riding on the gravel back roads and rail-trails in the Coast Range.

In addition to the bikes in my signature, I also ride a SS MTB

Last edited by Dogbait; 03-03-07 at 12:54 AM.