Old 11-29-17, 10:29 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider

the reason i did not choose the biknd is that a few friends had them and they each had problems with the bladder losing air; they reached their destination and several times the wheels were totally exposed. neither suffered damage, but it is troubling.

each to his own.
I flew the Biknd case Internationally a couple times and DID have bladder issues. I replaced the bags with 4" foam and it works great. What I didn't think of at the time was the through axle need.

Now I'm shopping again.

New/same old thing issue now is vagueness of when to pay and what exemptions.

Frontier has a Military bags free, but nothing in writing.
United has it in writing, then has a section on service charges for bikes.
Thanksgiving junior had to pay - then I got a refund. Christmas I think there will be no bikes flown, only wheels.

To make it more complicated the United policy is different if traveling on official business or personal business.

So take cx nats in Reno. That is likely official business (likely not tax payer money - not going there right now) and purchased through the USAF.

If United is going to charge the $150 for bikes it is better to have 2 bikes in one box (we have the Tri-All-3) and then attempt to get another refund.

OR I can use the written policy to fly with 2-3 free "bags" under 70lbs each.

All this seems kinda petty, but as I did with the LUX team, getting the combo right is its own sport when it involves several riders, more bikes and several trips a year. It can mean $10K here or there.

Last edited by Doge; 12-03-17 at 09:49 AM.