View Single Post
Old 06-23-19, 12:27 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
A small bottle of bleach carried in your rucksack can also be used to treat water from streams and rivers and make it safe to drink, just add a couple or three drops to a canteen of water, let it sit for awhile, and it is ready to drink.
Totally get the cleaning bottles with bleach but I don't know why but adding some to water to drink just doesn't compute in my mind ... absolutely 100% not questioning what you say but I don't know why but it just doesn't sit well with me.

Might go back to when I was a kid, it was in the local papers when some tramp (are they still called bum sin the US) tried topping himself by drinking a bottle of bleach (unless he thought it was an alcohol substitute) and I just imagined it eating your insides and a very slow and painful death .... although I believe he survived.

When you say 2/3 drops to a canteen of water ... what do you mean by a canteen the size of a drinking bottle for cycling or over here a canteen would be a huge earn holding 5/10 liters.

Any idea as well what the water purifying tablets contain ... maybe it's just bleach????