Old 12-26-08, 04:29 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I was an opponent to the gas powered sub-section in BF in the "poll thread"- not out of an ignorance of gas powered bikes but from some familiarity.

I just thought I'd revisit after having had a bit of time away from the original discussion and to share a slightly modified perspective on the gas powered engine bikes being discussed.

I still have major concerns regarding these bikes, particularly the 2 stroke gas engines:

1) Noise level.

2) Pollutants.

3) Where the bikes are ridden- MUP's, trails, bike lanes?

4) Safety

5) Mechanical reliability and integrity.

However, a nephew of mine who is an excellent bicyclist and professional frame builder has been tinkering about in this arena and has me reconsidering how these bikes can have a place in that interesting territory of assisted bicycles and provide a fun alternative to either an automobile or a pedal only bicycle.

The discussions I see starting to evolve on alternative fuel sources are a step in a direction that makes me less apprehensive about these bikes gaining popularity.

I'm now thinking that by including this sub-section within bike forums a healthy perspective might be gained by those of us voicing some skepticism and challenging those who wish to build, use or design these bikes to take factors like noise and environmental concerns into consideration.

Do most of you who use these bikes share these concerns or are they something that just don't come into the picture?