Old 06-19-19, 03:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A little milestone .... 3 days of cycling in a row AND we made it to the end of the Cycleway 2 days in a row!!

Friday - Rowan and I got out for a short ride late in the day. It was a lazy day for me after a stressful week, so the sun went down soon after we got out there.

Distance: 7.03 km
Elevation: 44 m
Moving Time: 27:27
Elapsed Time: 28:05
Speed: Avg: 15.4 km/h | Max: 28.1 km/h

Saturday - Rowan and I got out for a longer ride today! And then stopped for fish and chips toward the end of the ride.

Distance: 29.36 km
Elevation: 206 m
Moving Time: 1:40:35
Elapsed Time: 2:35:33
Speed: Avg: 17.5 km/h | Max: 28.8 km/h

Sunday -- Went cycling again. Was a bit chilly out there ... 12C to start and down to 8C by the end of the ride. That's three days of cycling in a row in the middle of winter!!

Distance: 27.02km
Elevation: 171m
Moving Time: 1:28:01
Elapsed Time: 1:31:12
Speed: Avg: 18.4km/h | Max: 29.9km/h

Originally Posted by Machka
A very interesting article I came across about a year ago in the early days of Rowan's recovery ...

https://www.brainline.org/blog/getti...ou-should-care

A quote from the article:

"Certain types of physical exercise have been shown to markedly (threefold) increase BDNF synthesis in the human brain, a phenomenon which is partly responsible for exercise-induced neurogenesis and improvements in cognitive function.

A three hundred percent increase in a protein known to help the brain recover is something to look at quite seriously. Neurogenesis is a simple concept. It is the growth of new brain cells.

Think about this for a moment: engaging in regular physical activity produces a chemical that is proven to stimulate new brain cell growth. This vital chemical keeps brain circuits running smoothly and is increased threefold by regular exercise. I call this nothing short of remarkable.

The good news is that you don’t need to be a daily cyclist to get this benefit. Shared by the doctor who presented at our group, thirty minutes of exercise, three times a week, will release BDNF’s and speed the neuro healing process."