View Single Post
Old 06-25-19, 03:03 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Or in the reference to pedal bikes were you criticizing the faster-than-bike segment of the e-toys? While you do occasionally see them going fast, most of those have reasonable speeds within or below the median bike range (at least once the user has experience a wipeout), it's really the electrified bike/motorcycle borderline cases that start falling into the alarming-to-others speed bracket.
Where I am located, you regularly have e-bikes, e-scooters and e-skateboards in the bike lanes and going 20mph plus (if they are actually traveling with the flow of traffic. They usually slow down slightly when they ride the wrong way, which happens all the time).

Originally Posted by specialgreen
People hear a bell or voice on their left, and they turn to their left to see who it is. You naturally veer to the side you're turning. This happens especially with novice bike riders or e-scooter riders, but also with older walkers, joggers, any bladers/skaters etc. I don't think there's a solution: there will always be new MUP users who are new to hearing "on your left," and they turn to the left, and step to the left, before their brain processes the words. It seems that we just have to expect this behavior.
This is true. This is why I don't say anything to people that leave enough space to pass easily and quickly.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
"Efficient" most definitely does not mean that the fastest riders get to ride fast all of the time. That's absurd. That leaves out the MU in MUP. Efficiency encompasses allowing a great number of participants in several different activities to do so safely and in a manner that maximizes the flow for the entire population of the path, not just the elite fast cyclists. Where I ride, the pedestrian legally always has the right of way and as a fast rider, I have to negotiate with that. The MUP is not at all efficient for fast riding, I think it's actually part of its charm. I've grown very adept at rapid acceleration from riding on MUPs. It's an extremely useful skill. I love to be able to ride at 24 mph, drop quickly to 5 mph then return to 24 all in a matter of a half mile or so. It's a fantastic workout, much better than I'd get going constant at 24 the entire distance.

I cannot think of a more inept analogy for the MUP than the autobahn. I really have no idea why you would even think to make that comparison. You show me a European highway where some of the drivers are 5 years old, and then I might concede you have a point.
Nobody is saying that the MUP should be setup to allow elite cyclist to ride at full speed. I'm simply stating that if it would operate efficiently, it would allow faster movers (be then on a bike, just running, walking...) to make mostly unimpeded progress. If you are blocking someone faster than you for no good reason, other than your lack of attention or courtesy, that is inefficient and unnecessary. Wanting to move past those people doesn't make one selfish, it just makes those reducing efficiency selfish.

Originally Posted by UniChris
More typical, they're chatting with their friend in the other seat.
Yet that's the most common reason to need to ask someone to move over on a MUP. Like it or not, MUPs are typically managed and funded as recreation infrastructure moreso than transit infrastructure, and things like being able to ride or walk two abreast is part of the appeal to many users - that's clear even as someone whose own 95% usage of them is solo.
Yes, this happens all the time, but it doesn't have to be this way. When I ride on a path with my GF, she is riding a 1960's cruiser, so suffice to say we aren't going very fast. And yet I always check well behind us before pulling up next to her to talk, and constantly check for people approaching. It really isn't hard to do, and yet most people can't be bothered because they are selfish.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
GET OFF MY ROAD! GET OFF MY MUP! GET OFF MY SIDEWALK! GET OUT OF MY WAY!

ALL YOUR SPACE BELONG TO US!

-mr. bill
You realize that your arguments are along those exact lines, no? Advocating for the most efficient use of a shared path is beneficial to everyone, no? Inefficient use implies that someone is operating in a way that puts their own needs ahead of those of the other users, no?