Old 08-15-20, 12:13 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
You'll pass Moss Landing halfway between Santa Cruz and Monterey - ride out to the sea wall north and west of the harbor, there's usually a pod of sea otters there and in my experience that's the closest you can get to them anywhere (without a boat anyway). Then grab a meal of fresh seafood at Phil's Fish Market & Eatery.

It's no secret spot, but I'd make sure to follow the 17 Mile Drive from Monterey to Carmel.

Not sure how COVID has affected this, but recently the hiker/biker sites from Santa Cruz through Big Sur were partially homeless encampments. Monterey's Veterans Park was particularly dense (seems to be open, and it's probably impossible to camp legally anywhere else near Monterey. Hope you have a granny gear to get to it). Not necessarily a good or bad thing, just something to be aware of. A lot of coastal H/B sites are just you and the trees and the sea breeze - not these.

Hwy 1 through Big Sur has some narrow spots with not much in the way of bike lane or shoulder - I highly recommend a good mirror, situational awareness, bright flashing rear light, and extra caution around rented RVs whose drivers are still learning how wide they are (evergreen advice).