Old 09-14-20, 07:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I never camped in Ohio, but I have decades of experience canoe camping in October on the Minnesota/Canada border in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Most of our trips were nine days.

Generally we expected it to freeze one or two nights, expected light snow about one out of three trips but the snow was almost never more than a half inch. Some trips had virtually no precipitation, but some trips had day after day after day of rain. The days with enough wind to keep us on shore were quite rare, but occasionally happened.

Presumably you have some long pants that work well on a cycle. When I did my month long bike tour in Iceland, I did not even bring a short sleeve jersey, only brought a long sleeve. About half the days wore shorts, other days had long pants on. There were a couple days I started out with shorts, but when got cold put on rain pants to cut the wind even though it was not raining.

If you see a pattern here, I do not like camping in hot weather, much prefer cooler weather. For example, when I bike toured the Katy Trail, that was end of Oct and beginning of Nov.

Long underwear. No need to elaborate.

You did not say if your trip has to end at a certain point on a certain date for one reason or another, such as getting back to a job. I assume since most people have to schedule an end date to their trips, that you also will have to. That means possibly having to travel in bad weather.

Based on all of the above, I suggest you prepare to ride in rain, may have to ride on a thin layer of snow but not enough to slow you down. That early in the season, it is unlikely that you would have any sheet ice to impair your riding and if it does freeze the ice should not last long since the ground would still be warm from summer. If you had a bad cold snap and the top few inches of ground is frozen, tent stakes could be an issue, either putting them in the ground or retrieving later, but that is a very rare problem that time of year.

Butane stoves do not perform well with a cold canister, but if you put your canister in a quarter to half inch of warm (not hot) water, that improves stove performance a lot as it keeps the canister from getting too cold. Do not use hot water, a hot canister could be dangerous.

When biking near home, below freezing I use hiking shoes or light hiking boots without cleats. But since my bike touring is planned to be mostly above freezing, I use bike shoes with cleats. I got lucky several years ago and got a good pair of bike shoes that were pennies on the dollar at an REI scratch and dent sale that were about one size too big. They are large enough that I can put a wool insole in the bottom and use thicker socks without restricting blood flow. But cleated shoes usually will allow water in if you put your foot in a puddle. Consider waterproof socks for those rare days when you may have to worry about that. I have Dexshell socks but I think that Seal Skinz are more popular for cycling. I only wear the water proof socks if I expect cold deep puddles or if I want them to block the wind from coming in my shoe vents. In cold and wet conditions I use shoe covers or overshoes. I use pedals that are SPD cleat on one side, platform on the other.

And a rain cover over my helmet makes it warmer, even when it is not raining. I wore the rain cover on my helmet every day for my Iceland trip just because it was warmer and kept the wind out of the vents. And I use a thin ear band under the helmet in cool weather.

I have some great long finger gloves that work well in cool wet or dry conditions, they also have a flap with a pocket to convert to mittens. But the ones I like are not sold in USA. Think about what you put on your hands on cold rainy days.

Down vest in camp is great, packs down to nearly nothing and weighs very little. And a thin stocking cap. I like a sleeping bag liner to keep my sleeping bag clean when I am camping where I can't take a shower every day.

Rain, I wear a Marmot Precip jacket. I have a pair of REI branded rain pants that are no longer sold, long enough leg zippers I can put them on without taking my shoes off. They are an extra larger size so when I flex my knees as I pedal, the bottom of the pants stay down low over the tops of my overshoes or shoe covers. And of course something needed to keep rain pants out of the chain. I use suspenders to keep the rain pants from sliding down.

Rain pants should stay low enough on your leg when you flex your knees when pedaling that the do not expose the top of the shoe covers.

Rain cover over helmet. I am not sure if I had two layers under the rain jacket or three, but had quite a few that day. I usually wear a neck gaiter on cold days, but I do not see one in the photo that day.

Wet weather happens, get used to it.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-14-20 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: