Old 09-15-20, 08:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I mentioned above that I have some gloves with a pocket on a flap that converts them to mittens. I bought mine several years ago, so they might be slightly different than these but this is where I bought mine from. Shipping is not cheap.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXHW...le-race-gloves

It is a roll of the dice ordering gloves from another country, when I ordered them I assumed there would be a 50/50 chance that they would not fit. They fit me a hair tight but they do not restrict blood flow, they take a bit of work to get on and off. They are my favorite cool weather gloves in wet or dry conditions. No padding,which probably is good for gloves used in wet conditions, they absorb very little water when wet. The mitt pocket in the flap is nice in the colder wind. I like them down to upper 30s or mid 40s (F) on the low end, up into upper 50s on higher end. I would not want to submerge my hands in cold water with those gloves, but they did the trick for me on rainy rides.

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I have circulation issues in my hands on the bike (I'd say that is pretty common with cyclists). If it is below about 60 and I'm out all day I will have gloves on - maybe even my mitts. If it is cool, no matter what gloves or mitts I wear, my hands will get cold and stiff so that is where the hand warmer packets come in. It is hard to balance the temp at times and I can end up with pretty sweaty hands and forearms, but the alternative is hands that simply don't work. Same goes for feet but the winter hiking boots I mentioned have alleviated this to the point of not worrying about it - if it is cold enough that I have to worry about my feet in those boots it is too cold, period, to be riding, in my book.
That is unfortunate. Your hands and feet are the body heat radiators, when you have excess heat it goes to your extramities and when you have too little heat you suddenly have no heat flow to the extremities, which leads to numbness before the frost bite can set in. It is an issue of balancing insulation against heat production.

Sometimes in winter, when I am a bit warmed up I sometimes have to take my gloves or mitts off when my hands start sweating. Then I have to worry about sweat freezing and sticking to cold metal.

There have been times when I will have a couple cold fingers on the same hand as a couple sweaty fingers and sweaty palm in my gloves or mitts.

It can be tough in cold weather to get your insulation dialed in just right. And then you climb a hill and produce more heat in the process, so suddenly you have too much insulationon.

If you wear bike shoes with vents, a baggie over your socks can keep the wind from blowing through your shoes, but that makes it easier for your socks to accumulate moisture. I do that sometimes in winter but I never ride for longer than about two hours in winter. Thus, I do not have to worry about having socks that accumulate too much sweat.

Hopefully you will not be out in winter weather, in late Sep it should not be too bad at all. It might actually be a great time. Several years ago I was on the Minnesota/Canada border in early October, we had a warm spell and for 7 straight days I was wearing shorts in the campsite.

When I go for a couple hour long bike ride in winter (not an all day, every day bike tour), I often bring three pair of gloves/mitts to switch between, trying to keep the hands warm enough but also trying to minimize sweat.