Old 09-15-20, 08:57 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Will you carry a 2M HT with APRS??

73 from John K3TN
I forgot to address this. I have a radio with me on pretty much all my rides. However, I don't run APRS.

I am not sure what handheld I'd take, likely my VX6R Yaesu as it is waterproof and pretty much bomb proof.

The other rig I would have is an Elecraft KX3. It does 160-6m all modes and I added 2m to it also. So, in theory, it could take the place of an HT, but I don't find it very convenient to use for VHF. The main reason I have 2m is because it will receive the NOAA weather band. That makes it pretty valuable as a backpacking rig - no need to take an HT unless I want group comms to a base camp.

Speaking of the KX3 - I need to keep working on my jumper dipole. I was working on a re-design of the one I made several years ago. This time it is made with thicker wire an better insulators. I have it working on all bands to 20m right now. I want to be able to run 75m and there are several bands between 20 and 75 (30, upper 40, lower 40, 60, 75 - then eventualy 80, upper 160, and lower 160). The jumper dipole will negate the need for a tuner. On my backpacking trip a few weeks ago I took a NorCal 40m Doublet. It requires a tuner and supposedly will work 10-40m. The tuner I used was a an LDG Z11 Pro. The antenna doesn't perform very well, in my experience, but it can net some QSO's. The jumper dipole is a lot better option - no tuning. Just set the band and go. And, being a full size dipole, it simply works a lot better in practice.