Old 10-28-20, 09:45 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I tried the Kapton as the lower layer (the translucent brown) because it is thinner and seemed to conform better but also be a bit more delicate. The light blue 3M I used for the second layer which is thicker so more durable, but not as flexible.

I still would like to know if folks ever use a heat gun to bed everything in better thus giving increased confidence that an ultra tight new tire doesn’t disrupt it when first mounted.
I did pull the Kapton tape quite tight to help force it down into the dish in the rim at the spoke holes. Because I had never used Kapton and wanted confidence it was bedded in, I installed a tube at the max specified pressure for the tire to apply "clamping pressure" and left it overnight before removing the tube and installing the tubeless stem and sealant. I am not sure that this helped but based on inspection the tape was bedded into the dish well and I still have had not had any failures a year later. I also have not removed the tires so I can not say the tape never moved.

Last edited by bikeaddiction1; 10-28-20 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For bikeaddiction1: