Thread: New Bike Day
View Single Post
Old 06-24-19, 10:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Please list all the bike brands your store carried or currently carries for the last 5 years. Curious where this oft-repeated contempt comes from.
I have sold Scott, Fuji, Surly, Specialized, Giant, Jamis, Breezer, Focus, Moots, Gazelle, Kalkhoff, Riese and Muller, Tern, Kestrel, Yuba, Bulls, SE Bikes (the new one by ASI) HaiBike, Oyama, Raleigh, Salsa, Co-Motion and probably some others I cannot remember. Within that time I have been at two companies granted most of the time has been at the current shop. I have sold and seen a lot of brands and a good portion of the brands on the list I probably wouldn't sell again or only hand select a small number of their bikes for sale. Some of the stuff has been excellent and I love selling it and others have been "why in the hell did you make that?" or just have had issues with the distributor or direct company.

Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Here we go with the Motobecane bashing again...

Nice bike OP, I love the color!
I have nothing against Motobecane the original company, they made some excellent bikes. Wouldn't mind a Grand Jubilee with some original SunTour Cyclone or the one that Justyne had up on BikeRecyclery.com

Originally Posted by ironnerd
That is some Earth-shattering information.

Actually, it's a nice bike. Not a great bike (I've had better). And not a nice bike "for the money". It's just a nice bike. If it really matters to someone that their bike was made in France or Japan, or wherever then I would consider them a snob. I mean... where were your iPhone, iPad, or Laptop made? Not France... Not even Japan... Probably China. Does that mean your iPhone sucks?
I shatter the Earth regularly I also listen to Earth and highly recommend them. Dylan Calson is brilliant and the musicians he has surrounded himself with are also quite good.

This was a quote from you "I also pulled off the "Made in China" sticker. As far as anyone I work with is concerned, it's still a French bike with Japanese gear."

I have never claimed my electronics to be from France or Japan nor any bikes not actually from France or Japan (which so far is none) I have 4 made in the U.S., 1 made in Switzerland, 4 bikes made in Taiwan. I probably have missed something and if so it was probably something from Taiwan. Components are all over the place and to figure all that out would be interesting but take a long time, though I do try to have some U.S. made stuff when I can. My electronics are probably from China and Taiwan at least the ones you mentioned but again not claiming they are anything different.

I don't need to fib to co-workers that my iPhone is French with a Japanese case. If my bike was made in Taiwan it was made in Taiwan, they do a great job over there making bikes and yeah sure I would love for every bike I own to be made in 'Merica but I am just not at that point yet but I am damn sure trying but Firefly's are expensive as hell, Bruce Gordon is dead (R.I.P.) and Richard Sachs doesn't take any more orders...LOL.