Old 08-01-19, 08:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by einstruzende
I was a pretty serious cyclist from 2003 through 2010, and ended up switching to running for years. Trying to go back to cycling, but I find I am now convinced I'm going to be hit by a car and killed.

I know, statistics probably say better chance of getting hit by lightning or something, but it's always there, and it is almost paralyzing my motivation.

Anyone go through this? I did have one cycling acquaintance die on the road back in 2009, I think that has something to do with it. He seemed invincible.
A bunch of randos on the internet wont actually talk you out of this fear- you will need to move past it on your own.

In the meantime, looks like you have an extensive trail network around you- use it. Why ride with cars if you don't enjoy it?
Related note- try gravel. It's like a 25' wide bike path. Quieter, actually. Less traffic on gravel roads than on paved trails.
Likes For mstateglfr: