Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
These posts bring up a concern for even the most comfortable cyclists:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You quoted me, but I cant figure out why. All that text in your post and you only typed 1 sentence?

What concern does my post bring up?
Thanks for reading my post, and it’s good to know that quoting a subscriber elicits a response. By nesting quote boxes, I indicate to the quoted subscriber(s) that I have read the post(s), reflected on the content, and extracted meaningful point(s), that I worked into a quote chain.

The quote chain allows me to quote a few subscribers on one topic in one post. As my signature line reads: "I use nested, sequential quotes (to be read in that order) to improvise an imaginary conversation. Anything outside a quote box is my contribution to the current 'conversation. "

The title of this thread is Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road...” and while I quoted
Originally Posted by bruce19
I feel pretty comfortable riding in traffic...
Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike.
you pointed out,
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ive thought about this and while the idea of going out doing what you love sounds great, Ive also thought it may be horribly traumatic for a lot of others.

And though I wont be here to deal with that, I would want my passing to be as peaceful/'untraumatic' as possible for my loved ones
Originally Posted by Brocephus
…I have people tell me all the time to "be careful out there", and I always reply that I'm only about 10% of that equation…
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I still have people tell me, "Be careful out there, it's a zoo," or "I'd be afraid somebody on their cell phone would kill me."…
Originally Posted by wphamilton
How do you respond to people who tell you, "I'm worried about you out there on a bike with all those crazy drivers and drunks?".
. i.e. there are consequences to other victims besides the Rider.
…I did have a lot of support in recovery, especially from my wife. I was particularly made aware of the toll it took on her when she gave a witness impact statement at the sentencing of the driver.
... The most antagonistic remarks though that I try to assuage are taunts about what it would do to the driver if they hit me, most often spoken on the Winter when streets are icy or narrowed by snowbanks…
Anyways, about half my post is written by me, mainly as quotes.
So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-05-19 at 05:45 PM. Reason: added quotes by Brocephalus,pdlamb, and wphamilton