Old 09-03-19, 11:04 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
Varia helps to keep the driver aware, it would blink at a faster pace as the car approach, I get much less close calls with the Varia, it also looks like a recording device so the driver is less likely to try something stupid
I don’t think the Varia is any more effective than other high bright day light capable taillights and I doubt many of any motorists are expecting recording taillights although it would be great if they did.

That said, the Varia is an excellent daytime taillight and a good taillight does do a lot for visibility and visibility translates into better motorist behavior. Since seatpost real estate is getting kind of valuable, having the rearward looking Radar and a great taillight in the same package is a great deal. The original Varia Radar has an all but worthless taillight.

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
^This. It's also as bright as car tail lamps (if not brighter). The higher flashing frequency would likely tip off a discerning motorist to the fact that it is a smart device. Also, if you pair it with a supportable fitness tracker, it will vibrate.
the vibration thing would be cool. I have to look into that.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've found it pretty useful in the city. Knowing where the gaps are in traffic behind you means you have a good idea when to merge even before you look back.
I guess I meant to say that I don’t think it’s useless but that it can sort of be part of a task overload situation where there is a lot of stuff to keep track of all at once. But I agree it can be useful for finding voids in traffic.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 09-03-19 at 11:09 PM.