View Single Post
Old 05-01-18, 08:01 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
Hello fellow travellers. This summer, several of us are riding from Vancouver to the Arctic Sea (Beaufort Sea). While this is a "supported " tour for breakfast and dinners, lunches will be ours to cover along the way, unless we want PBnJ every day, and I don't. So I am considering bringing along freeze dried food-just add water. Recently, my daughter had a chemistry project which got me thinking. She used Calcium chloride in a zip lock bag, added water, and instant heat for as much as ten minutes. (kind of like a Hot Shot for your hands or boots) Calcium chloride is very light weight, and certainly I'll have a water source. If I took a large zip lock bag, put in the freeze dried food with the water added in its own pouch, and then added water to the large zip lock bag, in theory the calcium chloride with the water added would heat up the freeze dried food, making it more palatable to eat. Has anyone ever tried this idea before?
Or, has anyone taken MRE's. They would just be a bit heavier to carry, and I would either have to purchase the heater packs or possibly use the calcium chloride idea.
I have been putting money aside for a freeze drier, but still don't have quite enough for the model I'd like to purchase, so I will end up buying the freeze dried food or MRE's- unless I eat the PBnJ every other day and sardines the other days.
Your thoughts?
I find that I usually cannot handle a large meal during the touring day (breakfast and dinner are totally different). I will carry cereal bars, nut bars, sesame bars, chocolate bars, fruit snacks, fruit puree packets. They provide the energy needed, don't weigh a lot and don't challenge the taste buds, especially with the variety available.