View Single Post
Old 05-03-18, 09:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
Thanks for all of your input! Yes "supported" means that someone is carrying my gear from a to b every day, so I just ride, and take what I need for the day. We all seem to be creatures of habit-one of my habits being 3 squares a day and a snack in between. The idea of snaking all day is interesting, but I look forward to stopping and having a sit down meal for lunch. Call me spoiled. That goes the same for the fellows I will be riding with, (we have done this before), when we biked across Canada a couple years ago (difference being that we were generally always near restaurants or stores at some point in the day). Since for the majority of the adventure we will be not near any conveniences, that is where my brain got to thinking of how I was going to eat along the way. PBnJ, as much as I like it, is ok for a couple of days, but after 4-5 days in a row fogetaboutit!

I am xUSN, and I don't have an issue with MRE's or freeze dried foods, we had them all the time when we were in the field for weeks with the Marines. Maybe those that some of you have tried weren't all that great, but there are some good ones out there, and everyone's palate is different anyhow. When my Dad and I walked the Camino Frances 2 years ago, we put sardines on a chunk of bread with tomato, onion and cheese with mustard nearly everyday for lunch, and washed it down with a cold beer. Some say gross, but in our opinions we were living the good life. That may be the way I go for Tour Arctic, but I have yet to find bread in North America that is as good as what we had in Spain.
You are going to have a great time.