View Single Post
Old 07-09-19, 12:22 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
No idea but Tricross gang represent! I've got a 2008 (?) tricross expert that I bought as a frame in 2016 and built up with parts mostly cannibalized from a steel frame that I broke. According to Strava I've only got 12k miles on it. 800 of those miles came from four of my five Dirty Kanza 200 rides.

It still seems solid. If I were to replace it, it would be because of a) I finally had saved enough money and/or paid off my student loans, b) I want something with disc brakes, c) I'd like something with more tire clearance, and d) I'd like something with a little more stable geometry. I've found it to be a little sketchy on the descents.

But good lord has it been a solid dependable bike. Not bad for something I bought in something of an emergency situation.

Also, severely underrated frame. Kind of ahead of its time--with rack and fender mounts, clearance for wider tires (I've got 38s but I think you could squeeze 42s in there) and the third bottle cage mount. Most CX bikes at the time did not have those things.
I've found it to be an excellent bike. I've put a decent amount of miles on it, ridden everything from gravel to 200 mile one day rides on it and it's never been anything but great for me. I find it rock solid descending, like it's on rails but my borther has ridden it and felt it was a little unstable descending so who knows.

Disc brakes would be a great reason to upgrade - I ride a lot of hills, and sometimes in rain