View Single Post
Old 01-05-20, 07:12 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Different bikes for the commute

Originally Posted by Amt0571
I don't stop riding in winter even if it means riding in the dark. In fact, it's quite usual for me to do my whole 30km commute in the dark from start to finish during winter.

I have also done my commute after a snow as long as the road was cleared.

In the summer months sometimes I have also ridden in the rain. Won't do this in winter though.
Just caught a bad cold, and I'm out for the count. I don't fall ill much, but this is going to stop me tomorrow. I might even take a sick day. I would have to drive.

It's only an 8 mile flat commute.

This time of year, it's typically in the 40's in the morning. It's been a hectic holiday season, and I feel like I'm exhausted. I usually ride every day.

Recently I broke a spoke nipple on my SS commuter rear wheelwith over 8k miles on it.

Still haven't fixed it. So I started to ride my really heavy cargo bike, and it feels like that was a bit of strain for me.

Most of the more than 30 years of this commute I rode a double or triple chainring road bike. Became tired of shifting and even developed a mild tendonitis shifting the front derailleur. That made me switch a drive train to SS for the commute. No regrets.

People at work have no idea how nice it is to ride everyday. I never try to explain it.

It hardly rains much here, so I don't know, but my rule is that if I'll be soaked by the time I get to work, I'll drive instead. I've arrived home soaked and cold many times. That's not so bad.

I