Old 08-11-20, 05:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by seebol
Thanks for pointing out that finding a replacement wheel may not be as simple as I thought!

Details: It's a 36 spoke wheel with a 26"x1.5" slick tire currently installed on it. It was part of a cheap tandem bike with twist grip shifters that has probably scene ~200 miles, 99% on paved roads. There is a slight wobble of the thru axle when I hold the wheel and spin the axle. Measuring the exterior width of the frame dropouts, it is 145 mm. It's hard to measure the length of the thru axle (until the tools to remove the freewheel arrive), but it looks around 170 mm.

Current approach: I will try replacing the spokes and bringing spare spokes on the vacation, which will have one ride of 25 mi (and the other days just cruising around town). However, in case I find I am unable to true the wheel adequately when the tools arrive, I'd like to be able to quickly order a replacement wheel.

Can anyone point me to a replacement wheel? Nashbar's Statru Alloy rear wheel only has a 135mm threaded axle. EBay's Wheel Master 5-6-7-speed freewheel 26 x 1.5 silver rear wheel seems like it could work --can anyone verify? (Sorry, my account doesn't seem to allow posting links )
Does this bike have a 7-speed freewheel? If it does (my bet) the cheapest repair is probably going to involve replacing the bent or broken axle. If you brought it to me, I'd probably try to talk you into replacing the hub with a 36 hole free hub. Then I'd lace it with DT Alpine triple butted spokes.