Thread: New bike at 70?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-21, 06:33 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
I'm 70 and I picked up one of these today - 2021 Kona Lava Dome - from Trailhead Bicycles in Huntsville, AL.

It was the last XL of anything they had in stock. If I'd been 20 minutes later, I would have left empty-handed (or technically, empty-racked) because another customer came in looking for one. I called three dealers yesterday looking for a sub-$1500 XL MTB before I located this one. One of the dealers I called also called his company's two other locations. Nothing, and both Trek and Specialized dealers are saying some models are back-ordered to May of 2022!

Anyway, I had a couple of MTBs in the past but sold the last one because I thought I was getting too old/wimpy/whatever to ride a MTB. Turns out I had a heart issue. That has been repaired and I'm feeling good, so here I go again! The Lava Dome will give me a good platform to upgrade on if I decide to do so. I love riding and I plan to do it as long as I'm able, which looks to be quite a few years more. I'm not extravagant but I will ride what I want (within reason). My regular riders are now this Kona and a 2016 Trek FX. Both are low to mid-spec and suit my abilities fine.

I said all that to say this: get what you want. At 70 years of age, you've earned it.

Likes For decotriumph: