View Single Post
Old 08-11-07, 01:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6223 Post(s)
Liked 4,225 Times in 2,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Krystal
I just want to say thanks for all this info. Just starting touring ( most every weekend ) but have had my Trek 520 for 16 years. Love it but trying to decide if I need a newer one? It's a '91
We touring cyclists are our own worst enemy. We buy one bike and ride it for the rest of our lives. When we want a new one or find someone who wants to share our sport, they can't find a bike. The reason? There's no demand for them and companies don't build what they can't sell. It's too bad too. Touring bikes make far better commuting bikes than cross bikes. They can do everything a cross bike can do...and carry much more stuff with far less hassle!

I'm as bad as anyone else. I had a touring bike from 82 which I replaced in 2003. That's too long. In the same time I've owned 27 other bikes - mostly mountain bikes. And I'm glad I did get a new bike. Stuff has changed since 1982. Frames are different, components are different, metallurgy is different.

So, yes, please. Buy a new bike. Splurge. The investment that you made in 1991 has paid you back handsomely. It's time to make a new investment. And look at more than Trek. There's lots of new (and some old ones) out there that are just as good. Cannondale, Surly LHT and Rocky Mountain Sherpa all top the list of really good production touring bikes. A Bruce Gordon BLT would be great too. A little more expensive but a classic bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!